Happy Taco Tuesday! An easy way to meal plan is to have theme days, such as Meatless Mondays or Taco Tuesdays, which can help you know what type of food to plan for, but gives you a lot of room to change up the foods each week. This Shrimp Tacos recipe is an easy meal that is made in less than 15 minutes, but is much healthier than take-out, so it’s great for a rushed evening.
I usually have several meals that I keep the ingredients on hand for a quick meal when I’m out of time and ideas. This helps us eat better at home and save the money from take-out. The only ingredient I may not have on hand is the peppers. I’ve made it without these and they are still great, just not as spicy.
I keep a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer and pull out enough for how many servings I need. I thaw them in some cool water for a few minutes until they are easy to peel. Buying the easy peel variety helps with peeling time.
One of my favorite spices is the Mrs. Dash’s Fiesta Lime seasoning. Mrs. Dash seasonings are salt free, which is great. I use it frequently on spinach, shrimp, chicken, fish, and beef when I want a Mexican flair. I couldn’t find it once in my stores in town and I finally found it at Target and bought 6 of them in case they were discontinuing it!
A secret I learned when using corn tortillas to help them not fall apart is to brown them in a skillet. It makes them tougher where they don’t break when making tacos.
To make this dish quickly, I heat up the skillet and brown the tortillas, then add the oil and saute the shrimp for a few minutes with some Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning in my cast iron skillet. I love cast iron skillets because of the non-stick surface you get after using over time (I’ve had mine 20 plus years!) and they have consistent heat throughout the pan.
While the shrimp cooks, I make the Cilantro Pepper dressing in my smoothie blender. The smoothie blender is so quick and easy to use instead of having to pull out my mini chopper or regular blender. I use it all the time! Definately a good investment!
When the shrimp is done, I lay out an assembly line with the taco shells, shrimp, cheese, pico de gallo, cabbage, avocado, and lime. Just add the ingredients and serve with some fruit for a quick and easy meal!
- 1 pound frozen med or large shrimp
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- ½ cup Pico de Gallo
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (can substitute cheddar or, monterey jack)
- Angel hair shredded cabbage
- AVocado, sliced
- Cilantro for garnish
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 Chipotle Pepper, seeds removed (more or less to taste)
- Heat skillet on medium to medium high heat.
- Brown corn tortillas on both sides.
- Add olive oil to skillet and saute shrimp with Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning 3-4 minutes until done.
- Meanwhile, put sauce ingredients into blender and blend until smooth.
- Assemble tacos:
- Add 4-6 shrimp per taco, 1 Tbsp or to taste cabbage slaw, pico de gallo,Cilantro Pepper dressing/sauce, cheese, avocado slices, sprigs of cilantro.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice to each taco, fold over, and serve.