I’m excited to announce my interview on a podcast with Jill Castle, a pediatric expert dieititan. The episode was about diabetes and I hope it helps educate others about type 1 diabetes and all we go through as parents.
If you would like to listen here’s the link!
Here’s what Jill listed as being covered on the podcast:
What you will Learn in this Episode:
- The difference between Type 1 and 2 diabetes
- Why children mainly have type 1 diabetes
- The typical presentation of a new diagnosis of type 1 diabetes
- How diabetes is managed with food and insulin
- The signs and symptoms of high blood sugar and low blood sugar
- Why checking blood sugar is so important
- The different ways kids check their blood sugar each day
- The role of counting carbohydrates (aka carb counting)
- How to track eating
- Whether children with diabetes can have dessert or not
- How to cover food intake with insulin
- The emerging technologies for managing diabetes
What is covered in this episode:
- The “trauma” of learning your child has Type 1 diabetes
- My personal experience with Type 1 diabetes
- The growing incidence of Type 2 diabetes in children
- How to manage the extremes in blood sugar
- Whether sugar-free products are needed
- Insulin pumps, islet cells, artificial pumps, and other new technology
- Managing diabetes in school and daycare
- What kids with diabetes can grow up to be and what restrictions exist for them
Here’s where to listen.
Be sure to join our Facebook group and participate!