Freezer meals are awesome for those days when I am too busy with work, doctor’s appointments or a sports game and I get home late and wonder what I can cook. I need to get better at planning a menu each week, but I usually am last minute or think about what to cook in the afternoon.
I try to keep some freezer meals handy for those last minute meals so we do not end up going out to eat, which is not healthy usually plus tough on the budget.
I bought a large package of boneless chicken breasts recently and while I was packaging them into smaller freezer bags, I took 2 of the chicken breasts and went on made this Honey Orange Sesame Chicken meal in a freezer bag.
It’s super easy! You just dump the ingredients into the bag and freeze. The only thing that needs cutting is the onion and chicken. I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge so I used that instead of garlic cloves.
To cook, I just set the frozen bag into a sink of warm/hot water and let it sit and thaw about 20-30 minutes. Heat up a skillet (I love my cast iron skillet, mainly because it’s non-stick after using so much so it’s easy to clean!) You can have any vegetable with it, I just decided I’d throw a bag of broccoli in there to steam as it finished cooking. Serve over rice or another grain such as quinoa and enjoy a quick and healthy meal!
Be sure to pin for later when you may be doing freezer meals and need easy ideas!
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ chopped onion
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 14 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Bag of frozen broccoli florets (optional)
- Garnish: green onions and sesame seeds
- Mix all ingredients except broccoli and garnishes.
- Label and freeze for up to 6 months.
- Thaw before cooking. Can thaw by placing in fridge in morning for evening meal, or place bag into a sink or bowl of warm water for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat. Add contents of bag.
- You may opt to not include all of the marinade depending on how much liquid you would like.
- Saute on med high heat about 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- While chilcken is cooking, cook broccoli in microwave 2 minutes to thaw.
- Add broccoli to chicken mixture as chicken is getting finished to steam.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes or until broccoli is to your desired doneness.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve over rice or quinoa or grain of choice.